Friday, February 26, 2010

story - chapter two

I swear that this is more then just ramblings, the first two chapters are just kinda for character development, so you get to know them and blah, blah, blah.
But I promise that it gets better. Atleast... I think it does...


-------------------

The ride there was the most fun I’d had in a really long time. Kali and I laughed and talked until our voices cracked and our stomachs hurt. I felt bad because she had to pay for everything, but I made sure to tell her that I had every intention of repaying her. It was painfully clear that Kali had done a great deal better with her life than I had with mine. She had her own restaurant that was really packing in the money and had gotten great reviews. She’s even been in the paper multiple times. She also had, to my dismay, a new fiance. I knew that she was seeing a guy but I had no idea that he’d proposed to her. I was a little upset because I wanted to be the first one to know.

“Remember when we said that I would marry Ryan and you would marry Jake?” I asked her, a playful tone in my voice. “We said that we would do a double wedding and everything.”

It was a painful topic for the both of us. Ryan was like my personal demon that liked to haunt me at my most happy moments and Jake was the epitome of everything that Kali had wanted and couldn’t have. The second I said it I wished I hadn’t.

“Yeah, I remember,” she said. She looked over at me and put her hand on my shoulder, “hey, don’t beat yourself up about it, Laney. We’re older now and moving on to better things, better guys. They’re the past and they’re going to stay there. Okay?”

I smiled in agreement and she returned her eyes to the road. I still wish I hadn’t brought it up, but it was nice to know that Kali was done with her demons. Now if only I could battle mine…


"There it is!" Kali said with pride tingeing her voice as we pulled up to her house. She was talking about her restaurant. It had an old school theme to it and was a turquoise blue color on the outside. It had a big sign that said Kali’s Diner on it in the very front of the parking lot. I was so excited for her and the amount of hard work she had put into it and the success she had gotten back. Her house was conveniently right across the street from it. It, however, didn’t look old school at all. It had normal white siding and a normal little front yard and was so average that I almost couldn’t believe is was here in Vegas.

“Do you like it?” Kali asked as she turned to me, begging for my approval.

“It’s absolutely amazing. Thank you so much Kali, I owe you forever for all of this.” I gave her another hug. I couldn’t wait to start working again, even if it was for a friend. Kali was doing so much for me and I just didn’t know exactly how I could show her how grateful I was for it all.

“See! I knew you’d be happy that I dragged your sorry ass down here.”

I rolled my eyes, even though she was right, and got out of the car and grabbed two boxes of stuff, following Kali into her house. I couldn’t help but wonder if the inside was as normal as the out. Kali had always been majorly earthy, but what did I know? People change, I know I have.

---

“Laney, this is Michael. Michael, this is Laney,” Kali said introducing me to her fiancĂ©. He was tall and skinny with dirty blonde hair and a sideways smile. He also had brown eyes that looked like they might be able to change color. He held himself with confidence and while he shook my hand and said a polite hello I had the feeling he was looking down on me. He obviously thought me beneath him.

I smiled and was polite right back; I understood Kali was my very last option. But that didn’t mean that I had to like her fiancĂ©.

He took one of my boxes and followed behind Kali and I to my new room. I got a good look at the pictures on the walls and saw lots of photography. I remembered that’s what she used to want to be. It put a smile on my face to know that she hadn’t stopped what she loved doing as so many other people I knew had.

We reached a dark brown door and we all set down my stuff right in front of it.

“Here you are,” Kali said, grinning from ear to ear. “I know you’ll love it!”

I laughed at how excited she was, “I know I will to Kali, don’t worry.” I opened the door and was to tired to notice what it looked like, but I pretended to care for Kali’s sake. “Wow, it’s beautiful! Oh my god Kali, thank you, thank you, thank you!” She smiled and knew I was tired and that I could give her a read thanks in the morning.

“haha, you get some sleep girl. Work starts tomorrow,” she said and gave me a wink. She waved goodbye and I waved back at her and Michael. Don’t think I was to tired to notice he hadn’t said a word. I shut the door and got ready for the best sleep I’d had in months.

2 comments:

  1. I'm really curious as to where this story is going. One question: is it/ parts of it autobiographical?

    Again, keep posting :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. nah, it's not really.
    but the main character is a bit like me in the whole attitude way and such:)

    ReplyDelete

The big splash into the river...

I guess you have to at least admire my friend for having the guts to try this. (remember, she wasn't harmed)