Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Open Mind Much?

One thing that really tick's me off is when people go into something without an open mind. My dad is one of those people, and let me tell you, once his mind is set that something is going to suck, that's how it stays. I can argue with him until I'm blue in the face but will he try something new? Hell no. And if I can actually manage this wondrous feat of new-ness, he'd rather keel over dead then admit I'm right and that this different thing is actually good.

And he does this for the stupidest things. For example, I somehow got my parents to sit in front of the television to watch the movie "Get Smart". I had seen it before and thought it was really funny and cute and was hoping they would feel the same. But oh no, my dad had already made up his mind that this was another "lame-ass remake" and he wouldn't give it the time of day. He kept walking out of the room to get things so that he couldn't even get into the movie if he wanted to! In short, he was acting like a child who didn't get the toy he wanted for Christmas.

Why? Why are people like this? I would venture to say that this is the reason our economy is so messed up, people are scared of change and/or have already decided that anything different would suck...more... So is it just to much to ask that people give new stuff a try? I know it's a stretch from a movie to the economy, but it's just the point. If anything that small is so out of reach then imagine the big things! This is why we are all so stuck in this rut. Get out there, and try something new for a change. You might like it;)

2 comments:

  1. Hey, this is Robin from Hilariously Awkward Comics Art.

    My dad and brother do the exact same thing and it bothers me a lot. My dad will never watch anything sci fi, ever. My brother automatically dislikes anything I like. He wanted to watch Doctor Who with me and I had been a fan for awhile and even though he admitted he liked the episode we watched, he couldn't really like it because I was a fan. Also, he will not listen to any music I recommend just because I like it. Even though I like a very wide range of genres. WTF? I think it's mostly a guy thing because I haven't encountered this with any girls yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. humpf, men. They're so full of...un-common sense. I have to wonder what in the world makes them act that way?
    Makes me glad I don't have a little brother,
    haha
    & thanks for the comment :)

    ReplyDelete

The big splash into the river...

I guess you have to at least admire my friend for having the guts to try this. (remember, she wasn't harmed)